Wednesday, March 11, 2009

How To...Make a Substitute for Buttermilk

Many recipes, especially for lovely baked goods, often call for buttermilk, and I've been caught dashing out to the grocery store to get a pint, whereas the recipe only called for half a cup. Invariably, I'm usually left with a pitiful half bottle of buttermilk in the fridge that just waits to get tossed in the trash.
I recently found a subsitute for buttermilk that can be made with what you probably already have in the kitchen, and this way, I never have to have drag myself out to the store to grab a pint whenever a recipe calls for it.

To make 1 cup of buttermilk:

What you need:
1 cup milk
1 tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice

Method:
1. Pour 1 tbsp of white vingear in a bowl.
2. Add the milk to the bowl.
3. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes - you'll then have buttermilk ready to use in your recipe!