Friday, July 10, 2009

Bobby Flay's Balsamic Glazed (Veggie-filled) Meatloaf

Bobby Flay's Balsamic Glazed Veggie-filled Meatloaf

Meatloaf and I. Me and meatloaf. Whichever way, I haven't had much luck with this ubiquitous Americana staple. If it wasn't rubbery, it was greasy goopy mush. If it wasn't flavorful, it was dry with the charm of an old leather shoe. Every recipe and store bought package (*shudder*) elicited the same lacklustre verdict.

And then I met
Bobby. (OK, fine - I met him on my TV screen).
Bobby is sassy. Bobby is from NY (HOMEBOY Alert!), Bobby exudes the suave of a know-it-all chef coupled with the boyish charm of a guy-next-door-who-just-happens-to-grill-really-really-good. OK, before this turns into a Bobby love fest - try this for din din one night, the secret is in the balsamic vinegar glaze which REALLY kicks things up a notch. I was a disbeliever (What!! Ketchup and Vinegar in my meatloaf?? EGAD!). Trust me on this one....

I also took the opportunity to sneak in a host of veggies into these meatloaves - and turned a blind eye when my kids eyed me suspiciously. They still wolfed it down....Score 1 for the sneaky mom....
Cook's Note - Bobby Flay's original recipe calls for ground turkey - so his version has much less calories and fat than my adaptation because I used 90% lean ground beef.

Recipe - adapted from Food Network Magazine (Feb/March 2009)

2 Tbsp EVOO
1 small zucchini - finely diced
1 red bell pepper - finely diced
1 yellow bell pepper - finely diced
2 small stalks celery, finely diced
1 large carrot - finely diced
1 small onion - finely diced
5 cloves garlic - mashed with a little salt
1/2 tsp red chili flakes
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tbsp fresh thyme - chopped (I used store bought Greek seasoning)
1/4 cup fresh parsley - chopped
1.5 lbs ground beef
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup tomato ketchup
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Heat oil in a large saute pan. Add all the vegetables, garlic paste and half of the red chili flakes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook till almost soft (about 5 min).I added a dash of Greek seasoning. Set aside to cool.
2. Whisk egg and herb/seasonings in a large bowl. add meat,panko, cheese, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and the cooled vegetable mix. Mix until just combined.
3. Press mixture into a baking loaf tin, or form individual mini loaves and place on a lined baking sheet. Whisk the remaining ketchup, chili flakes and balsamic vinegar and brush this mixture over the entire loaf. Bake for 1 - 1.5 hours. Let rest before slicing.

1 comment:

Dithi said...

Congratulations Zaara! You are the winner of my give-away!!! Thank you for the participation, visit my blog to see the announcement!!

I have to come to your blog, it looks and almost 'smells' delicious :)!!!

Much love. d.