Hello! Happy New Year! We are close to the end of January and here I am fresh off my resolutionary agenda, which included "I MUST BLOG MORE" in the list ;-)
I'm back this time with a super easy pizza recipe that you can whip up in no time if you have a craving for pizza.
Or something hot out of the oven. Preferably topped with a lot of gooey cheese.
Or ALL OF THE ABOVE.
California Pizza Kitchen is a chain restaurant known for their incredibly thin pizza crusts and varied toppings with a distinctive California flair. The BBQ chicken pizza claims top honors as one of their most popular items ever since it was introduced in CPK's first restaurant in Beverly Hills in 1985. Here is a quick and easy way to create it at home.
The following cast of characters are what you will need on hand (adapted from "America's Most Wanted Recipes"):
- Pizza dough - either go the store-bought route or whip up a batch of your own. I will admit I was always wary of store bought pizza dough after one particularly crappy cardboard-like experience in the past, and so I always preferred to make my own pizza dough, but I was recently surprised at the quality of the store-bought dough on hand at groceries now. Go for the freezer dough rather than the dried out-on-the-shelf brands.
- 2 cups cooked and cubed chicken - Again, if you have cooked chicken on hand, grab that, or use deli chicken, rotisserie chicken leftovers - anything that vaguely resembles chicken will do or quickly saute 1 boneless chicken breast in a splash of oil till cooked through.
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce and a little extra for drizzling - whatever brand you have on hand. I got a bottle of free BBQ Memphis sauce on a recent grocery expedition, and this was my turn to try it out.
- 1 cup shredded mozarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp shredded Gouda cheese - I didn't have any, I substituted Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1/2 small red onion - sliced thin. I didn't have that either, I used regular yellow onions.
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro - chopped
1. Toss cooked chicken in half of the the BBQ sauce. Heat in a skillet over medium heat until the chicken is thoroughly coated and the sauce has reduced slightly and become thicker (about 3 minutes).
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. (If using store bought dough, use temperature on package).
3. Prepare pizza crust or follow directions to prepare store-bought pizza dough. Form the pizza dough into a circle and place on a baking sheet or pizza pan.
4. Spread remaining BBQ sauce over pizza crust. Top with chicken, cheese and onions.
5. Bake for 10 minutes or until crust is crisp and golden.
6. Sprinkle cilantro over pizza before serving. (Another option is to bake the cilantro with the pizza, but I personally found that it dried out the cilantro too much).