Thursday, January 7, 2010

Yellow Bell Pepper and Corn Rice

Photobucket

This quick and easy recipe came from the delightful cookbook "The Soul of a New Cuisine" by Chef Marcus Samuelsson. I have been drooling over this cookbook for the past month and it has earned an esteemed place right on my bedside table.
The cookbook is a well-researched and exotic collection of recipes from different regions of Africa. I was thrilled to see this cookbook in the library as I've always found it hard to find a definitive source of authentic and good recipes from the African continent. I believe the Berber and North African countries have been well represented in the cookbook arena to date, but the Central and Southern African countries have not.

Well, not until I came across this gem! Whilst the collection of recipes and Samuelsson's interpretive take on many regional delicacies is brilliant, it is the beautiful photography of the dishes and this spectacular continent that made me go out and purchase it outright.
 This is a simple accompaniment dish for a spicy meal. Samuelsson literally douses the rice in turmeric, I opted not to as I personally find turmeric to have quite a pungent after-taste when used in great quantities. I was startled but impressed to find the clever addition of golden mango and yellow tomatoes in this dish too, carrying forward the "yellow" theme. I opted not to add them, but should I find them in season, I will definitely be revisiting this dish again!
 Yellow Bell Pepper and Corn Rice (loosely adapted from "The Soul of A New Cuisine")

2 Tbsp oil
1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, mashed with salt
1 heaped tsp turmeric (original recipe uses 1 Tbsp!!)1 tsp cumin powder
1 cup long grain rice
1 small red chili, finely chopped
salt to taste
2 cups yellow corn
2 1/2 cups stock
1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeds removed and cored, diced
1 Tbsp chopped green onion
(Original recipe also included 1 yellow tomato and 1 peeled yellow mango, chopped)


1. Heat oil in large saucepan.
2. Add onion, garlic, turmeric and cumin and saute till onion is translucent.
3. Add rice, chili, bell pepper, corn and ~1/2 tsp salt (or to taste). Stir fry rice, stirring continuously to ensure it does not burn.
4. Add stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover saucepan and let it cook till all liquid is absorbed.
5. If using tomato and mango, fold into rice, adjust salt to taste and remove from heat. Garnish with scallions and serve hot.



This post has been dusted off and is now heading over to Padmajha at Seduce Your Tastebuds for the A.W.E.D African Event April 2010. The A.W.E.D Culinary Journey event was originally created by DK of Chef In You.

6 comments:

Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
FH said...

Beautiful color, love the simplicity.

Muneeba said...

Oh YUM ... corn and yellow bell peppers .. with rice .. new combo, but can totally see it working out beautifully!

Desisoccermom said...

This is what I wrote yesterday, twice. Third time is a charm. :)

That rice looks doable and delicious and not at all complicated the way some exotic recipes are. I don't know about mango but I know tomatoes would make it taste even better, though where on earth I would get yellow tomatoes I have no idea. :)

tasteofbeirut said...

Yum! I love turmeric! I love the combo of flavors in this rice! Good pick!
Hey, just thought I would let you know I am giving away some goodies from Lebanon if you want to check them out!
Happy new year!

Unknown said...

You're right about the turmeric. I have apoplexy when some TV chefs just spoon it on. A hint of turmeric is whats needed as any one from the Asian sub continent will tell you. Any more than that, and it will taste like the haldi milk you HAD to drink up when you had a cold!!