Thursday, April 22, 2010

Roasted Spinach and Potato Cake

Photobucket
Desperate for something starchy, but bored of the same-old same-old mashed potatoes, I found this little gem of a recipe on Whole Foods website yesterday. An added incentive to make it was the chance to break in my almost one-year old brand spankin' new never-been-used-before (OK, we GET it!) Lodge Logic 10-1/4-Inch Pre-Seasoned Skillet.

Lodge Logic 10-1/4-Inch Pre-Seasoned SkilletThis is my second piece of Lodge cookware and I'm pretty impressed and tickled pink at the very reasonable price. I held out for Le Creuset for the longest time, and realized
a) I'll never afford it, except for their one set of salt and pepper shakers that always seem to be on sale and
b) I ain't winning no Le Creuset giveaway ANYTIME soon.

The original recipe called for roasting Swiss Chard, but I could not get my hands on any ('tis not the season?). My eyes fell on the next green looking vegetable in the grocery aisle, and it was baby spinach!

Superbly simple - a layer of potatoes, spinach and cheese, enhanced with some caramelized onion and garlic, thrown into the oven in a skillet to produce a wholesome, earthy, bubbling "cake" with a gorgeous golden crust.

I think I could make a meal of it by itself now. Move over, Mr,.Steak....

Roasted Spinach and Potato Cake (recipe adapted from Whole Foods Market)
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp EVOO
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
1 small yellow onion, diced
4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into thin circles
salt and pepper to taste
a large pinch oregano,rosemary and dried mint
4-5 cups baby spinach, washed ( or 1 whole box pre-washed salad baby spinach found in US groceries)
1 cup grated cheese (I used a mixture of cheddar and spicy habanero cheese)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Heat butter and oil in a seasoned cast iron skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook till onion turns translucent.
3. Add baby spinach, the spinach will wilt rapidly, toss lightly with a little salt and pepper and the dried herbs if using, Cook for about a minute. Remove skillet from heat. Transfer spinach to another dish and try to keep most of the onions and garlic in the skillet.
4. Layer half of the potatoes in the skillet. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Top with the cooked spinach. Scatter half of the cheese on top.
Photobucket

5. Complete a third layer with the remaining potatoes. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Photobucket

6. Cover skillet tightly with lightly oiled aluminium foil, bake until potatoes are easily pierced with a knife (about an hour). Remove foil and return skillet to oven and bake till cheese is bubbly and golden-brown.
7. Set aside to rest, slice into wedges and serve.

11 comments:

sayantani said...

wow Ann was surprised to see the layer of spinach underneath the layer of sliced potatoes. such a great recipe. looks lovely and congrats on your new utensil.

Unknown said...

hey ann first time here....love the spinach potato cake:)

s said...

oh wow..this sounds real good...and different!

My Kitchen Antics said...

i can eat anything with potato at any time of the day:)
and if its nit indian..even better..not cos i dislike indian food, but because its just tedious:)
def bookmarking this one...

Joanne said...

The whole foods website is such an awesome source for recipes.

This looks delicious! I like your spinach substitution...I have a feeling chard is not so in season right now...

Chef Aimee said...

I love what you did to layered potatoes - MMM! What a great recipe!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I really like the surprise layer underneath! That looks great! :D

Anonymous said...

Always on the look out for new way to cook potato. Thanks for introducing me this fabulous recipe!

Eva said...

That looks friggin awesome. i am totally making that for dinner tomorrow. except with arugula because that's what I have in the fridge.

Amy @ cookbookmaniac said...

Wow, this is a great way to use potatoes. It looks amazing!

Ann said...

Thanks for all the comments. All kudos go to Whole Foods, I'm hooked on their recipes website now - they have some awesome stuff there. Now if I can only figure out their secret banana bread pudding recipe! =)