Sunday, September 6, 2009

Blueberry Scones with Orange Glaze

Photobucket
I've had a hankering for scones and with a pint of blueberries languishing in the fridge, everything started to come together when I saw Brown Eyed Baker post these beauties recently.
Scones are strange little fellows. Coquettish like biscuits, but with a steely exterior and somewhat dry interior. I remember the ones from childhood being awesome straight out of the oven and slathered with butter. I wanted something with a little sweetness to it, so I decided to try Tyler Florence's version of blueberry scones, and do an orange glaze instead of his lemon.
His scones have that authentic taste I was pining for, though I feel they were a little soft and pillowy, rather than the crumbly and slightly hard crust that I was used to. These scones are a breeze to prepare, and I used a shortcut for the buttermilk. They would be a treat for a late brunch or breakfast. They were fantastic straight out of the oven, but got a little moist and too soft the next day.
Blueberry Scones with Orange Glaze (adapted from Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze - Tyler Florence - Food Network)
2 cups AP flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled
3/4 cup buttermilk (use cream for an even more decadent scone ;-))
1 egg
1 cup blueberries miced with a little flour
Optinal - 1 beaten egg for egg wash before baking

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
3. cut in butter into the flour mixture and rub in til mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Mix buttermilk and egg.Add to above four mixture and lightly combine.
5. add blueberries and gently fold in. Fresh blueberries are likely to "explode" during this step and while baking.
6. Drop spoonfuls of batter on greased cookie sheet. Brush with eggwash (optional).
7. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes

Glaze (Optional)
Mix 2-3 Tbsp orange juice with 4 Tbsp icing sugar until sugar dissolves. Add 1 tsp of butter, heat over low heat or microwave. Drizzle glaze over scones.

5 comments:

ceilithe said...

These look sooo yummy. Funny, I posted about scones this morning, as well, but mine have to be gluten-free. Your blog is fun; I hope you're enjoying writing it as much as we enjoy reading it :)

Nummy Kitchen said...

Your scones look absolutely perfect. I've made this Tyler Florence recipe before and loved it. Seeing your delicious photo makes me want to make scones this afternoon, thanks for the inspiration!

kitchen queen said...

You have a nice blog.You can visit my blog view my recipes and give ur comments.

Cynthia said...

Those scones with that glaze, umm, umm, umm, good!

Noor said...

I am drooling YUM